East Stroudsburg University is hiring a Director of
Admissions and New Student Orientation! Located in the beautiful Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania, ESU’s
proximity to New York City and Philadelphia provides convenient access to
internships, careers and social activities. Just minutes from campus are the
country’s largest water parks, scenic Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area,
Appalachian Trail, and other opportunities for recreational fun.
As the Director of Admissions and New Student Orientation, you
will need to think creatively and be comfortable providing strategic leadership and vision to the
Office of Admissions to enable the University to attract, recruit and enroll
undergraduate students. You will be an active member of the Admissions
team and will work closely with the VP of Enrollment Management to implement an efficient, proactive,
collaborative, team-based recruitment function. You will thrive in this
role if you like combining your progressive leadership experience and your
knowledge of educational policies and laws while monitoring and assessing the University’s recruitment
plan to ensure the University meets its stated enrollment goals in support of
the strategic plan. To be successful in this role, you must be an engaging and
effective spokesperson, a strong and effective leader, and have depth in
hands-on strategic planning and execution.
Your normal hours will be Monday – Friday 8 am – 4:30 pm,
but you may have to flex your schedule from time to time based on the
needs of the business to be a true Director. Nights and weekends
will be required during peak times. This position will include 15-25% travel. When
our team shows up for work, they are energized and motivated to succeed - all
while being the most crucial piece to keeping the ESU operations humming.
What Will I Do At ESU? (AKA Essential Duties)
- Design and implement a recruitment plan that aligns with the University’s strategic enrollment goals for undergraduates; Assess and update enrollment plans as needed to meet short and long-term objectives
- Develop and implement a comprehensive undergraduate student recruitment/admission program consistent with affirmative action guidelines. Develop admission standards, policies, and procedures in collaboration with University administrators and academic personnel
- Collaborate with financial aid on packaging strategies and scholarship processing for incoming undergraduates, including managing timely scholarship awards and initiatives
- Oversee all aspects of New Student Orientation. Collaborate with various campus stakeholders such as the Provost, Deans, Department Chairs and Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence to promote successful student transition programs for incoming undergraduates.
- Supervise, train, create professional development plans, and evaluate admission and orientation employees to ensure that employees have, and utilize, up-to-date knowledge of relevant university programs and policies. Evaluate and coach staff on their performance
- Assess best practices and rapidly changing technology that will enable the achievement of the University’s enrollment and recruitment goals. Analyze data and assess programming activities as part of strategic enrollment planning initiatives, including freshmen, transfer and non-traditional groups
- Monitor application flow, the review process, deposits and withdrawal rates throughout the admission cycle; Develop and implement recommendations from analyzing trends. Participate in institutional assessment procedures, especially those related to enrollment and specifically to department operations
- Design and implement recruitment and orientation activities that provide the University with a competitive advantage. Facilitate organizational development and change to create an effective, progressive, efficient, and competitive admission and orientation operation.
- Provide fiscal oversight, management, and budget development for Admissions and New Student Orientation.
- Perform related work as required.
What We're Looking For (AKA Qualifications)
- Master’s degree required.
- 5+ years of experience of progressive leadership experience in university admissions, including recruitment, enrollment planning, and program development.
- 5+ years of experience in public speaking and marketing ability in a higher education environment or that can be transferred into a higher education environment.
- 5+ years of experience leading and supervising a team including hiring, training, evaluations, and coaching. Experience managing and working in a collective bargaining environment is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience and knowledge in educational policies, financial aid, large-scale computer systems, data management, and laws and policies affecting University admissions and recruitment
- Proven strong commitment to an organization’s diversity and sensitivity around social equity.Knowledge and experience in the needs of educationally and economically disadvantaged student populations preferred.
- Ability to manage complex interdepartmental processes and organize logistical data and events.
- Ability to use personal selling and marketing techniques to attract prospective students and their families to the University.
- Hands-on experience coordinating the primary functional areas of admissions such as communications, off-campus recruitment, visitor event management, and applicant evaluation preferred.
- Highly effective interpersonal and relationship development skills preferred.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. of admissions materials for events required. Must be able to drive long distances and stand for long periods of time.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to events.
What We Offer
- Outstanding benefits
package including medical from date of hire, retirement contributions,
employee wellness program, and paid leave
Starting at $100,000 annually
by the Warrior Code:
for One's Actions
to Sacrifice for the Greater Good
Honest, and Loyal
of the Environment and Community
to Empowering Others
We believe diversity, inclusion and belonging is key for
Much like our academic programs, we are proud to foster a
workplace that is unique to higher education. As an organization focused on
diversity, inclusion and belonging, we are committed to ensuring our employees
are comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work every day. A unique
perspective is critical to solving complex problems and inspiring others.
And yes, legal made us spell this out…
Must be at least 18 years old and have English literacy
skills. Employment with ESU is contingent on the selected candidate passing a
thorough background check that includes: FBI fingerprinting, PA Child Abuse,
and employment. We are proud ESU is an equal opportunity employer. For more
information on President Long's 10-point plan, click here: